C4 Innovations played a pivotal role in sparking and sustaining a nationwide movement to expand and integrate mental health and substance use recovery support services by leading the groundbreaking Bringing Recovery Supports to Scale Technical Assistance Center Strategy (BRSS TACS) initiative. C4 and partners spearheaded the SAMHSA-funded initiative from 2011 to 2020.
Through virtual and in-person learning communities, training events, state policy academies, expert panels, product development, national and regional meetings, and other support and technical assistance, our team provided expert guidance and opportunities for learning, exchange, support, and coaching. We equipped policymakers, organizational leaders, providers, and peer support workers with knowledge and skills to implement and sustain a range of recovery support services in their communities.
• Created the national Core Competencies for Peer Workers in Behavioral Health Services. Based on input from hundreds of people, the C4 team developed comprehensive core competencies to guide peer support workforce development. By 2020, roughly half of U.S. states had adopted them.
• Helped state behavioral health systems integrate recovery supports. Our team provided support and technical assistance to 46 states and territories, including 36 participants in the BRSS TACS Policy Academy, to develop peer support training and certification programs, create new recovery support services, build new collaborative relationships, and strengthen peer leadership at the state level.
• Strengthened peer-run, recovery community, and family-run organizations. BRSS TACS supported hundreds of grassroots recovery organizations, strengthening their leadership, organizational infrastructure, and capacity to build communities of recovery.
• Supported organizations and communities in all 50 states. Our experts responded to 1,658 technical assistance requests, providing customized support, training, coaching, and curated resources.
• Developed tools. We created innovative products to support shared decision-making, including Decisions in Recovery: Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder and Strong and Informed: Supporting Shared Decision-Making in Children’s Mental Health and many more.
Learn more about our behavioral health and recovery work.